Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Smokey Orange Chicken??

My friend HH recently posted about e-mealz. We've been trying this out too for 3 or 4 weeks now. I paid $12 for 3 months of meals. They give you 7 meals per week, catered to the grocery store you shop and what is on sale there for the week. Thus far, most everything has been good. Tonight however, not so great. Our menu was Smokey Orange Chicken, Rice Pilaf and Green Beans. The chicken ingredients consisted of orange marmalade, soy sauce, salt and pepper and liquid smoke. My gut feeling was to substitute a tried and true chicken dish for this one. Liquid smoke and orange marmalade do not sound very appetizing to me. I wasted 2 packages of chicken on this dish!! I am supposed to use the leftovers for Gourmet Chicken Quesadillas later this week. Fortunately, my sweet husband can do some magic with chicken. We'll see.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

We do the e-mealz too and opted out of that dish this week!! There have been a few that I just couldn't do...saucy hot dogs being one! But I do love the convenience of my meals being planned!!

Amber said...

I'm glad that works for you--I'm just too much of a contol-freak to let someone else plan my meals! Plus, I'm sort of picky! More power to you!

Big Nanny said...

I bet those saucy hotdogs are darn good and Jessica's missing out!

Shawn said...

Yea, liquid smoke is very powerful. You probably could have left it out and it might have been good.

FYI...peach preserves and picante sauce is a great combo on chicken and pork. Would make good quesadillas too!

Glad to see you back in bloggy world.
~H

Erin said...

Yeah, you're back from the bloggy dead!
I do love some liquid smoke, but not sure about it with orange. Good for you for at least trying it!

Alli said...

Whew! I don't even think I would have attenmpted that meal. I'm with Amber--I'm too picky and just stick to my tried-and-true dishes. But, does it save money at the store? And are the recipes hard to do? Are most of them "tame" and "typical?" If so, then I might try it out... maybe.