Monday, March 16, 2009

What's been on my mind lately...

Kindergarten. We will register Taylor for kindergarten next week. That stirs up all kinds of emotions in me as I'm sure it does any mother. Other than the obvious "How can she already be that old?", I'm consumed with the fear of sending her out into the world all alone. Then I question whether we have done a good enough job so far of preparing her for what lies ahead. What will she be exposed to and will she come home and tell us about it so that we can teach her what our God believes about such things. Will she then adopt these values for herself and stand up for them when the time comes? Have we forgotten to touch on any important subjects? The list could go on all day. I'm trusting for now that God will give me peace and assure me that I've done a good job thus far. I think I'll be learning a lot more about handing my fears over to Him in the coming school year.
I was reading this today from F0cus on the Fam!ly about an upcoming book from James D0b*son:
How could I, and indeed, how could you, allow ourselves to get so busy with the cares of life that we would leave our vulnerable little boys and girls unprotected from evil influences? How could we fail to give them the love and attention that they crave? And how could we send them into a dangerous world without laying a secure foundation to hold them steady? No other priority comes close to this responsibility to raise our children, as Solomon said, “in the way [they] should go. (Proverbs 22:6, NIV).”
Included in the book: a review of the tyranny of beauty, the search for self-worth, burgeoning sexual awakening, emotional development, the gender wars, the dangers of pornography, and the predators that prowl the Internet looking for victims. They are the ultimate killers in the meadow. I get a great lump in my throat when I think of those precious kids who know so little about life, and are falling into the snares of a twisted value system that will set them up for lifelong sorrow. It need not be so.
My prayer is that the Lord will use Bring*ing Up Girls to help empower and encourage moms and dads charged with the formidable task of helping their young girls navigate our dangerous world. Although much of the information will be unsettling and even disturbing, Ya think???? I believe the book will also offer the hope that is found in the biblical truths upon which the family is founded and in the passing along of faith from one generation to the next.


I'm on my knees!!

2 Timothy 1:7: "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

3 comments:

Amber said...

Randy is a big fan of Andy Stanley's stance on raising children. Andy says that we cannot isolate our children from the world, but we can insulate them. I sort of like to think I can keep them with me forever and away from everyone else's influence :)

Julie said...

She (and you) will do great. I am still so surprised at all Alyssa has done in her first year of school. And I am looking at her in disbelief that she is the same kid. There are a lot of good teaching moments that come from your child being "in the world". Just embrace the experience and let her show you that she has been listening for the last 5 years

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely in the same boat as you. I turn the big 3-0 and send my baby girl off to Kindergarten in the same month. It will be a sad, sad month for me. :)